1.09.2011

Running for Empress of the World

I can't believe I've only been here for four days. It feels like at LEAST a week. I guess our days are so packed full of going places and doing things that it seems too much for only a few days. Classes start tomorrow though, so maybe now things will start to get into a more normal routine. Yesterday we went to go see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. I wish I could say it was the coolest thing ever.. but I didn't see any of it! By the time we got there it was way too crowded and I didn't see a thing. We're gonna go back another week so that we can get the full experience. It was fun to walk around the parks and sites around the Palace though. There are 12 "London Walks" that we're supposed to do this semester and one of them was right around that area. It was super pretty and fun! Perhaps it would've been even more fun if it hadn't been FREEZING AND WINDY, but I don't complain. 
You know what's crazy about London? Everyone has a dog. And it's not like America where dogs have to be on leashes or aren't allowed in parks. They are allowed to roam free and go anywhere! It's so much fun. There are always different kinds of dogs roaming around walking with their human friends. The other day I saw a man walking seven dogs at once! It was quite a site. I wish I would've snapped a picture! dang. We also went to the show Woman in Black. It's apparently the longest running play in London? It's unlike any play I've ever seen. There are only 2 actors and it is a seriously scary play. All of you friends who love to laugh at me while I watch scary movies? You would've loved this. I was freaking out the whole time. Then last night there was this weird noise that woke me up in the middle of the night. I went completely rigid and it took me a second to talk myself back into reality. The play was really good though! I just may have nightmares the rest of my life. 
Maybe the most overwhelming thing to me the past few days has been how expensive everything is here! At first it seems about the same, but then I realized that with pounds instead of dollars, everything costs almost twice as much! It's stressful enough buying everything for yourself without having to worry about converting your money to pounds and back, too. Sheesh. Oh but it is cool that their "dollar bills" are coins. Sometimes I think "Oh I can't buy that, I only have change." But then I remember that "just change" can convert to like 15 bucks! ... or pounds.. or whatever. Booyah! I don't understand why the whole world has to be on different systems though. We should all have the same currency, drive on the same side of the road, speak the same language (although I do love having different accents..hmm..) and use the same metric system! Maybe I'll run for World Empress and put all of this into motion. 
 Some of the way cute girls here at London with me! Katie, Carly, Elise, Kinsey, Ashlie, Paige, ME, and Sharron.  
 Carly and I in front of Buckingham Palace. It was SOO cold.. my face was frozen and I could barely smile!

When the flag is up, the Queen is in. Yes, this picture is proof that I was at Buckingham Palace at the same time as the Queen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment