1.06.2011

Is that... Buckingham Palace?!?

 So here are our living arrangements. My bed is in the bottom left hand corner. If I were to have turned around and taken another picture you'd see almost the exact same thing. 12 girls in a room!
 These bathrooms give me a whole new appreciation for the term "water closets." I seriously feel like I'm locked in a closet. 
The five flights of stairs I complained about? Not joking. This is the view from just outside my room looking down. Lots of narrow, steep, creaking stairs. 
The first thing that comes to mind when I think about my last 24 hours in London is JET LAG. It was all I could do last night to not go to bed at.... oh 4 in the afternoon. I fought and fought all night to make it to 9:00. But part of me wishes I would've waited even longer because come 4 in the morning I was wide awake! What on earth do you do at 4 in the morning?!? Exactly. I layed in bed for 2 hours. Then a few hours later my body wanted to go to bed again! If this lasts much longer I'm gonna do something drastic. Like get lost in the streets of London. OH WAIT!! I did that today, too. 
Here's the story. Spring, Jamie, Haley, and I decided we wanted to go shopping all day. (Yes, I know, life is hard. Our classes don't start till Monday and so we are given all weekend to basically explore London. Drat.) So we get our oyster passes and think it would be SOO cool to ride a double decker bus to the shopping center. Which is true, it would. So we do!! Yes, ladies and gentleman, today I rode a legitimate red double decker bus. It was everything I hoped it would be. However, I guess we were just too excited about our mode of transportation and forgot to get off. So we went too far. Eventually we hope off the bus and have NO clue where we are, when suddenly we look over and see BUCKINGHAM PALACE. What kind of world do I live in where I can just ACCIDENTALLY stumble upon a palace? So we ditched our shopping plans. Buckingham Palace it is. The only part that was unfortunate about it was that I didn't bring my camera (I didn't really think I'd use it much shopping), so I'll have to go back and get some pics sometime. We navigated the tube back and just barely got home. Oh, and my feet are frozen fyi. 
Some fun things I've learned about London in the.. lets count.. 30 hours I've been here. First, while many people here are highly fashionable, most are just normal people. Go figure. I was expecting to be surrounded by nothing but fashion divas for 4 straight months. Second, the streets really are cobblestone! It's just like the movies. With the cute lamps and little cabs and red buses. It makes me giddy. Next, deodorant looks way different here. I barely recognized it as deodorant! (Yes, mother, I did buy deodorant today. I'd say I've changed and matured a great deal since last year.) Last, I love scarves and all that they stand for. They're saving my life in this weather. 
Oh and one last thing... Tomorrow I'll have visited the Tower of London before any of you even wake up. But I'm not bragging or anything.  

2 comments:

  1. Things I should have told my daughter before she left: 1. You can ALWAYS find a photo op in London so keep camera strapped to your body at all times, even when sleeping! 2. Yeah, scarfs are the best. 3. Appreciate the "giddy" now because in a month or two it will simply be what the city you live in looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your life is so tragic kaylee. I weep for you every night. In fact, I might have to pull the hero card and come fly over there and save you from your lonely terrible state ;)
    p.s. Double decker bus= possible the coolest thing ever. oh wait or maybe the palace= sweetest thing ever....I can't decide. more pictures please!

    ReplyDelete