1.14.2011

I took a bath with the Romans.

I'm just too popular for my own good. Everyone just LOVES my blog posts and just CAN'T WAIT until I post another. WELL!! Here ya go! I'll finally come down from my little piece of heaven and write about my happenings.
Yesterday. Was. Amazing. We left at 7:30 in the morning and were gone all day long. After a 2 hour bus trip we got to Salisbury where we took a tour of the cathedral there. The tour was way cool.. another amazingly decorated cathedral.. but my favorite part was talking to the bishop afterwards. Basically they gave us time to do whatever we wanted afterwards and instead of going to get a pastry crescent thing with everyone else.. I found a bishop and talked to him! He was SOOO cute! Seriously so old and talked very very slow. I wanted to know about the massively cool organ mostly, but of course he told me lots of other stories too. I almost missed the bus! Oh.. what I wouldn't give to play that massively cool organ..
Another half hour on the bus took us to Stonehenge. If you don't know what that is, think BIG ROCKS. Our Professor talked about it in history class on Tuesday and I'm very glad he did. Knowing a little bit about it made it MUCH more interesting. My favorite theory was the ant theory. It all started as a giant rock and the ants have slowly eaten away most of it so that it sits as you see it today. That or something to do with extraterrestrial beings. No the big rocks were very cool. We mostly just took pictures and left.
Now, for my favorite! BATH! I think when my husband and I retire someday we'll move to Bath. It's such a cute little place. We went to an assembly hall first. Don't know what that is? Think Jane Austin. Yeah. I felt like I was walking around in one of her books. SO CUTE! Bath is where her book Persuasion takes place and I can totally see why. After that we went to the Roman Baths. HOLY COW I WANT TO BE A ROMAN BATHER! It's basically a natural hot spring that they built an extremely cool roman building around. The romans went there to socialize, do religious things.. take baths? yeah. We had those self tour guide things and I went nuts. I listened to every single thing I could. Also.. I talked to a Stone Mason. We're practically best friends (See Picture Below). But my favorite part of the entire Roman Baths? I need to start a new paragraph for this, hold on.
My favorite part of the Roman Baths... the CURSES. This is definitely something we need to take up again. What the Romans would do (p.s. This Roman Bath was dedicated to the God Minerva. Not to be confused with Professor McGonagal.) is take little black pieces of something and scratch a curse into it. For example: "Amber stole my shirt this morning without asking, please make her bleed from her fingernails until she's dead." Then.. they role it up and throw it in the spring!! Isn't that the best idea ever? To think, I could've been cursing my many enemies my whole life. MWAHAHAHA! It's like the new voodoo doll. So watch out if you've ever wronged me.
I can't really top the curse thing. But everything else this week has been awesome, too. I've been to all my classes now and this semester is going to rock. I have to go to lots of museums, countries, historically cool places, etc. etc. LIFE IS GOOD! If you have any complaints/comments, please post them below and I'll get to them when I can. As for now.. I head back to my little piece of heaven.
 See what I mean? The ants easily could've carved that. 
 Liz and I dancing in the ballroom of an Assembly Hall. She's eLIZabeth and I'm... Mr. Darcy.
 My Best Bud the Stone Mason. He's holding the curses I wrote and we're about to throw them in the water. 
 Don't tell me that wouldn't be the coolest bath you've EVER taken!
 You know me and my flirtatious ways.. the Knights are all over me. 
A really bad picture of the massively cool organ at the Salisbury Cathedral that I'd DIE to play! 

2 comments:

  1. You asked for us to post comments and complaints:
    Comments: #1 I think that bath looks AMAZING! Can you bring it home home for me when you come back? I think it would fit in my bathroom nicely. #2 That sounds like the coolest field trip I've ever heard of (at least until you tell us about your 3 or 4 day one to Scotland next week) #3 The Knight looked cute, but you can do better!
    Complaints: You should write every day!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhhhhhh, we loved Bath. Loverly town!!

    ReplyDelete