2.20.2011

Execution? Bring it on.

If the upkeep wasn’t so ridiculously impossible and the sheer ownership slightly absurd, I’d want my backyard to look exactly like Hampton Court Gardens. Of course perhaps it’d all equal out to be a bad thing, because if it did I would spend over half of every day walking around in my backyard and ultimately get nothing productive done.  What is Hampton Court, you ask? Hampton court was King Henry VIII's favorite house. And He had 60 houses, so that’s sayin something! Actually.. If it was my house, it would be my favorite, too. No offense to my beautiful home in St. George. Basically what I'm trying to say is this: King Henry VIII may have been a fat old man who killed lots of wives, but he had nice taste in garden-ry. In fact, I think I'd be willing to marry King Henry VIII despite his executing wives fetish. I'd die early, but my short life would be spent in those beautiful gardens! 

Friday was our day trip to Hampton Court and then Darwin’s house. At Hampton Court we got to tour the rooms and apartments of Henry VIII and Mary II and see the Tudor Kitchens and of course the beautiful gardens. My favorite thing, after the gardens of course, was the stacking dolls at the gift shop. There were stacking dolls of King Henry and all 6 of his wives! Funny, huh? I was dying. Oh, or the chocolate bars. I wanted to buy those and then eat off Ann Boleyn’s head or something. Didn’t know I was so horrible? Mwahaha.

Darwin’s house was slightly less cool, but still enjoyable. I mean, he is the father of evolution. And I have been learning about him since 6th grade. We actually read a book about him for our literature class last week. It made the whole experience WAY more interesting. I actually like Charles Darwin a lot. He was a swell guy. Did you know he was a total family guy? Like a loving wife and 10 kids. I got to see his actual plants. In his actual greenhouse. And… Oh!! Get this. His wife took piano lessons from Chopin. And I saw her piano! SOOOOOO that means I saw the piano of a student of Chopin. SWEET.

Friday night I watched Mean Girls. I’d never seen it before. Apparently I had to see it in order to leave adolescence. So here’s announcing – I’m an adult.

Saturday morning was perhaps the best thing that’s happened to my taste buds since I’ve been here. We went to Bourough Market.. Which is basically a food market. We spent the whole time sampling tons of delicious food and then finally bought lunch. We tried jam, salsa, oil and vinegar, fruit, curry, olives, lots of cheese, bread, cheesecake, nuts, granola, humus, and butter. I ended up buying Vietnamese chicken curry and rice. Ramzi got a Kangaroo burger! Is that legal? I didn't know you were allowed to eat Kangaroo. So, naturally I had a bite. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to say I've chewed Kangaroo. It's not too bad actually. We decided we’re going back every Saturday morning we can for the rest of the time we’re here. And I won’t eat breakfast next time before I go!

 The far side of Hampton Court. Those awesome looking trees were in rows everywhere.
 Can you say... Pemberley? I felt very like I was living in a Jane Austen world. 
 First try. Success!



I tried to include pictures of all different parts of the garden, but they still don't do it justice!
 This little lot of land was one of Darwin's experiments. He planted weeds and had them compete with plants to see if they were competing for survival. AKA - Survival of the fittest! Thank you 10th Grade Biology. 
 Sir. Charles Darwin's house. 
 Sharron, Ramzi, Haley and I in front of the fabulous Bourough's Market
 Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention this part. There were dead animals EVERYWHERE! About 5 seconds before this picture was taken, I was smiling. But then I was chastised for smiling next to dead bunnies. So then I thought of Thumper and came up with this face. 
 "Bring me the Head of a Pig.." I can't imagine Brian Regan was meaning that literally. Cause I'd never want that thing delivered to me on a plane. 
 Hence my extreme fear of underwater animals. 
Me on Tower Bridge. In the freezing rain. I LOVE LONDON!

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! oh Kay joy, I laugh the whole time I read these posts. You are so creative, go into writing and I promise I will read every one of your books.
    Um, SWEET gardens. And Darwin, that's tight. I mean, we always talk about that guy in school and say survival of the fittest all the time!! you have practically LIVED HIS LIFE!!
    Picture jumping in the air= nice hops, Logan would be proud.
    Picture with the bunnies= laughing out loud (I couldn't bring myself to type LOL.)
    Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked the dead bunnies... but I'm more glad you didn't write Lol. THAT would've been worse than actually killing the bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First- I got your FB message but I only read it from my email. My roommate changed my password so I wouldn't get on as often. It is very sad when my own self discipline can't take care of those kinds of things...so I'll get back to you on those matters soon! But I am so proud that you are the french braider of London! I literally laugh out loud when I think of the braids at el powell. hahah.

    Second- If you had a backyard like the Hampton Court Gardens we could go tanning out there everyday! And Lady would end up looking for the rock FOREVER! hahah

    Third- I can't believe you got that jumping picture on your first try. You are learning a lot of life skills in London.

    Fourth- I miss you and cannot wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete